It is defined as the decrease in the number of circulating red blood cells.
(We often say that we have anemia when we feel dizzy, but it is the wrong expression.)
Iron deficient anemia
5~6 months after birth, puberty period, menorrhagia,
pregnancy, bleeding(including hemorrhoids), blood diseases,
malnutrition, deviated eating habits, etc.
Anemia caused by chronic disease
It occurs due to other chronic diseases.
Infection (tuberculosis or abscesses), rheumatic diseases,
It is the form of inherited red blood cell disorder.
It is relatively common in Black American, the Mediterranean
and South Asia.
It is caused by medication or blood diseases.
Bone marrow related disease
It may occur when bone marrow does not produce blood well
like aplastic anemia.
- General symptoms include dizziness, tiredness, paleness, cold sweat, heart beating, etc.
- If you have hemolytic anemia, you may have red urine.
- In addition to them, thalassemia may have enlargement of liver and spleen, fracture, leg ulcer, unusual facial appearance,
infection(gall bladder), etc.
- If anemia becomes worse, transfusion of red blood cell is required.
- Treatments are different based on different causes.
1) Iron deficient anemia : You should take iron(more than 6 months)(It can’t be cured only with foods that are rich in iron.)
2) Anemia caused by chronic disease : Chronic disease should be treated/managed. If it gets severe, hematinic injections may
3) Thalassemia : transfusions, medication treatment, splenectomy, etc
4) Hemolytic anemia, Bone marrow related disease : medication treatment, etc.
– If iron boost is prescribed, you should take it for more than 6 months.
– If you take it together with vitamin C (example: fruit juice) before the meal, it will be absorbed better.
– If you feel discomfort to take it before the meal, you can take it immediately after the meal.
– If you still feel discomfort right after the meal, you can take liquid medicine instead of a pill.
– If you take it together with some foods such as milk, coffee and persimmon, it will interfere with the absorption.
– You can drink the milk with a gap of more than 2 hours when taking the iron boost.
- If you take the iron boost, stool turns black. However, it is normal, and thus do not worry.
- It is recommended that patients with congenital anemia such as thalassemia visit the hospital on a regular basis
to prevent complications and get the management such as immunization.