What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Irritable bowel syndrome has the failure on function of colon, but it is different from problems on shape
such as inflammation, ulcers or cancer.
- Irritable bowel syndrome does never become the terrible disease such as cancer in the future,
but the patients suffer severe pains.
- These patients will take colorectal images or colonoscopy due to fears of colorectal cancer(colon cancer).
However, the result is ‘normal’ or ‘because the colon is sensitive’. They are prone to be diagnosed of ‘neurological enteritis’
- Main cause of irritable bowel syndrome is stress.
- Other causes are irregular meals and lack of exercise.
- For men, oily meals and excessive drinking and smoking cause and worsen the symptoms.
- Any symptoms can be recovered with medicine therapy for 2~3 weeks but it is likely to recur.
The reason is that the causes still remain.
- Therefore, food control, moderation in drinking and to quit smoking is required. You should learn how to handle the stress
through regular exercise or hobbies.
- You feel aching and bubbling on lower belly but you feel comfortable after bowel movements.
- You feel some residuals after bowel movements and you often think to go back to the bathroom.
- Diarrhea and constipation are repeated.
- You are full of gas in the belly or you feel pain or discomfort in lower belly.
- You have belching, heartburn, vomiting, frequent flatulence and stool like runny mucous.
- ‘Enterospasm’ suddenly appears and you have severe pain on lower belly.
You should see the doctor in the following cases.
- You have fever.
- Weight is reduced.
- You have bloody stool.
- The symptoms begin to get worse after the age of 50.
- The symptoms get worse than usual.
- You wake up because of pain or discomfort.