It is defined as deep defect in mucous membrane of stomach or duodenum by attack of gastric acid.
- Infection of Helicobacter pylori
- Use of NASIDs (no steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) and Aspirin
- Burn, brain injury or stress caused by admission to intensive care unit
- Benign and malignant tumors
Pain on Epigastrium
You may have a burning feeling and pains on the center
of upper part of the abdomen.
If it is severe, you may have hematochezia(bloody stool),
melena or hematemesis.
Even if it is rare, you may have the perforation on gastro-
intestinal tract if ulcers become acute. You feel very
painful on abdomen. If it is pressed, you feel even more pain.
Even if ulcers are severe, you may have not any
- Since the symptom is non-specific, diagnosis is not given only with symptoms. You will be diagnosed with endoscopy.
- The progress stage such as active stage, healing stage or scar stage can be determined by looking at the shape
of ulcers through endoscopy.
- In addition, it can be determined whether it is caused by infection of Helicobacter pylori through endoscopy.
Depending on its origin, each cause must be removed.
1) Infection of Helicobacter pylori : You can undergo eradication and take anti-ulcer agents for a specified period.
2) Ulcer caused by medicine : You should stop taking the medicine causing ulcer.
- Antacids, proton pump inhibitors or coating agents can be prescribed as the remedy drug.
- If the drug does not work well or the disease recurs, you should be treated strongly for a longer period of time.
- In times of emergency such as bleeding or perforation, endoscopic procedure and surgery may be required.
- You should take the prescribed medication. In particular, if you take the medication irregularly or you stop it
in the middle of treatment for eradiation, drug resistance may emerge, which can make the treatment difficult.
- If you have hematochezia(bloody stool), melena, or hematemesis, you should visit the emergency room to get
the emergency treatment as soon as possible. Otherwise, your life may be at stake.
- If you feel pain on abdomen(whole or in part), or you feel more pain when it is pressed, you should visit
the emergency room to get the emergency treatment as soon as possible. Otherwise, your life may be at stake.