Weight control dietary
Take appropriate calories.
Limitation of the intake of salt
- The fact in which excessive intake of salt elevates blood pressure is medically proven. The substance which actually increases
blood pressure is not salt but sodium(Na).
- Sodium always tends to carry water. If the concentration of sodium is increased in blood after eating more salt,
the volume of blood is increased so that blood vessel gets more pressure. Thus, the blood pressure is elevated.
- The average person needs approximately 2g of sodium per a day, which is two small spoons of salt(4g).
However, Korean diet contains 4~6 times(15~25g) as much as required amount.
- Japanese diet contains 10~12g of salt. Ghana in Africa and Chinese diet contains 4~5g and 10~12g, respectively.
To reduce intake of salt
- Only allowed amount of salt, soy sauce, bean paste and hot pepper paste is added upon cooking.
- Eat less food that are high in salt.(Canned food, ham, sausage, cheese, chemical seasoning, bacon, kimchi, radish,
salted fermented fish products, soy sauce, bean paste, hot pepper paste, soup & stew, various biscuits and breads
using baking powder)
- Reduce intake of soup, stew and instant noodle through which you can take much salt at once.
Make Kimchi bland and eat it a bit.
- Eat vegetables, fruits and meats which are as fresh as it is rather than processed food.
Incidence of hypertension and stroke is high to one who loves to drink two soju glasses in a day.
Since alcohol is a high calorie food, it disturbs the weight control.
Reduce intake of caffeine.
Since caffeine can rapidly elevate blood pressure, intake must be limited to 3~5 cups of coffee a day.
Do not eat animal fat
Do not eat animal fat which is rich in cholesterol and saturated fat excessively.
Because viscera of cattle such as kidney, heart and brain, and seafood such as shellfish, shrimp, crab and
sea cucumber have high salt content, be careful.
|Food Name||Weight||Weight of Eye Measurement|
|Dark soy sauce||5g||1 small spoon|
|Bean paste||10g||1/2 large spoon|
|Hot paepper paste||10g||1/2 large spoon|
|Mayonnaise||40g||2.5 large spoon|
|Tomato ketchup||30g||2 large spoon|
|Salted pollack roe||10g|
|Margarine||50g||3 large spoon|
|Butter||50g||3 large spoon|
|Butter||50g||3 large spoon|
|Cabbage Kimchi||30g||3 pieces|
|Pickled radish||10g||2 pieces|
Kinds of blood pressure monitor for home
There are mercury blood pressure monitor and electronic blood pressure monitor. Electronic blood pressure monitor consists of
automatic and manual based on ways to inflate the cuff. These days, the automatic electronic blood pressure monitor is
mainly used. Since the electronic blood pressure monitor measuring it at finger or wrist is too sensitive and inaccurate based on
position and temperature, it is not recommended.
Check the accuracy of electronic blood pressure
monitor with your doctor.
- Once you buy a blood pressure monitor, you should check it with your doctor and examine it once a year on a regular basis.
- Proper management and storage are required. You should check whether tubing is twisted or whether it is placed next to heat
sources. In addition, you should check whether tubing is leaking or broken.
- Learn the proper direction to use the blood pressure monitor from your doctor or nurse.
Understanding of medical terms related to blood pressure
Blood Pressure : Pressure of blood on the arterial wall
Brachial artery : Blood vessels going from the shoulder to the elbow. Blood pressure is measured here
Systolic blood pressure : Highest blood pressure on artery when the circulating blood moves away from the heart through whole body.
Diastolic blood pressure : Lowest blood pressure on artery when the heart is resting.
Measuring blood pressure : It consists of systolic and diastolic blood pressure. It is represented as 120/80.
The first one is systolic blood pressure.
Proper use of electronic blood pressure monitor
- You have to use cuff which fits the arm of individuals. If the cuff does not fit, the blood pressure may be measured incorrectly.
- Subject should be stable for 5 minutes prior to measuring the blood pressure.
- It is measured on the arm at the height of heart in a comfortable sitting position as leaning the back.
- When the upper arm is gently wrapped with the cuff, it should have enough space to put one finger inside the cuff.
Edge of bottom of cuff should be located at 2~3 cm above the elbow.
- Wait for 2~3 minutes to re-measure it after the first measurement.